Don’t go bacon my heart!
These sweet and salty cupcakes are sure to please any crowd! I whipped up a batch of these for Canada Day, since they included two Canadian classics (maple and bacon!) The moist maple cupcake, topped with vanilla icing with a drizzle of maple syrup and bits of crispy bacon will have you wanting more and more!
You eat bacon for breakfast, so these are basically a breakfast item right?
The bacon dessert trend hit the food scene a few years ago and continues to be added to a number of sweet treats, so I decided to take a run at it! Maple and bacon have always been a match made in heaven, so there were high hopes for these cupcakes!
Making these cupcakes was my very first encounter using bacon in dessert. I was excited to hear and see what everyone thought of them. The reviews were good and everyone loved them!
- 1 box of white cake mix (I cheated because hey, these recipes are perfected so why mess with a good thing?)
- vegetable oil- use half, half bacon grease
- bacon grease (grease from cooking bacon in a pan)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: 1 tsp of maple extract
- 2 containers of white frosting (also cheated on making this from scratch)
- 2 Tbsp of maple syrup
- maple syrup, to drizzle over cupcakes
- 6-8 crispy bacon strips cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. (I used Canada Day themed ones on this occasion)
- Combine ingredients as stated on the box + the bacon grease, and maple syrup (and maple extract if you’re included that.)
- Start pouring mixture into cupcake liners filing just over halfway.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.Take out of the oven and let them rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting! (important step or you’ll get runny icing– speaking from experience.
- Transfer your maple frosting into a piping bag using the piping tip of choice.
- Crumble crispy bacon on top and drizzle with maple syrup!
- Add festive little touches like Canadian flags, etc.
I will definitely be making these again, they were super simple and stayed really moist from the bacon grease added to the mix!