When I say images of all these beautiful DIY mugs and dishes on Pinterest I just had to put it to the test myself! I love that you can get as creative and personal as you want with these. Oh and did I mention, I made each of these for under $5.00 each!
I decided to recreate a few mugs and a catch-all dish that I had seen online using oil-based Sharpies.
The designs I opted for just so happened to tie in perfectly with it being Valentine’s Day!
What you will need:
I wanted to draw my designs on bright white mugs and dishes so I went searching for just that. I found both the mug and tray for under $3.00 each at Dollarama!
BE SURE to by oil-based Sharpies otherwise your design will wash off in water. These are a little more expensive than your regular Sharpie but I bought mine from Michaels with a 40% off coupon so they came to around $3.00 each! The good thing about these is that one marker will last you through quite a lot of designs so paying that amount upfront isn’t so bad in the long run!
- Allow your designs to dry overnight. This will ensure that your paint is completely dry!
- Stick them in a cold oven (this step is really important!) Let them heat up with the oven that you will put at 300 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove your mugs/trays and allow to cool for 20 minutes (turning off the oven at this point)
- Once they are cooled entirely, place them back in the oven and repeat step 2 and 3.
- After 20 minutes turn off the oven and allow them to cool in there entirely.
- You can spray your designs with a sealant when you’re done if you’d like, I opted out of this and they have been just fine. I hand wash my items only with soap and water.
Tip: Place your mugs or trays on a cookie sheet so that you don’t actually touch the paint and ruin it (I did this the first time, woops!) Once it starts to heat up it will be susceptible to smudging.
For the gold heart-shaped mug:
- First, you will want to make a heart stencil out of paper that matches the size of your mug.
- Next, you can start tracing the gold dots around your stencil. The dots are denser closer to the stencil and began spreading them out more the further away I got.
- Next, remove your stencil and begin to cover the handle in gold dots. I was pretty sporadic with how I did these.
- On the other side of the mug I used another heart stencil and once again traced gold dots around it, having them more dense closer to the heart and further apart the more you move away. I wish I had made my heart stencil a little smaller only because it took up most of the mug (not a big deal, just something to keep in mind for next time!)
- If you do happen to make a mistake you can simply take some water and mild soap and erase what you would like to correct. This is easier to do while the marker is still wet so catch it early if you can! For my mug and catch-all dish this came in handy, I think I re-did these ones each three times before I got it exactly how I wanted it!
Here’s the finished product! I absolutely LOVE how this turned out. I really like the gold dot design, it just screams Kate Spade to me!
Eyelash & Lips Mug:
This design was a little more free-hand. I pretty much just found an image I liked and went with that. I used a piece of tape straight across so that the eyelashes were at the same level and length. I used a black Sharpie for the eyelashes and just free-handed the lashes and used a red Sharpie for the lips, also free-handing. Just when I thought the gold heart mug was my favourite, I see the end product of this one and now I can’t decide!
Love-Letter Catch-All Dish:
- I just love catch-all dishes, so when I found this dish at Dollarama for $3.00 I knew exactly what I would do with it!
- I had seen love-letters and envelope designs on catch-all dishes from West-Elm sold for over $20.00 and thought I could easily make my own for under $5.00 (and so I did!)
- Using a couple pieces of Scotch tape helped me make the sharp straight lines that I filled in with a black Sharpie and finished off with a free-handed small red heart.
- This tray is definitely multipurpose, I decided to use this dish as a serving dish for my Valentine’s Day desserts. I didn’t spray my mugs or dishes with any coating and the markers are non-toxic so they are okay to eat off of! 🙂
Enjoy your DIY mugs and catch-all dishes!
I first saw this outfit combination on the Old Navy website and was able to find all of the same items to recreate the look myself!
Everything but the grey jeans are from Old Navy, the jeans are Silver that I picked up on sale from Winners. The model in the picture was wearing grey jeans with this outfit and I absolutely loved the whole look!
I think my favourite part of this whole outfit has to be the cream coloured faux-fur vest. It is extremely soft and goes with just about anything! I got all of these items for up to 50% off around Black Friday (amazing deals!!!)
See below! 🙂 — my hair was also 9 inches longer here than it is now, I almost forgot how long it was!
A few months back I was fortunate enough to have a seat at Clarins Beauty VIP dinner hosted by Dave Lackie at the Arcadian Court in Toronto. I entered a contest that Dave Lackie posted on his Twitter, and I would have never thought I’d be lucky enough to win!
I was especially excited about the special guest (Eric Antoniotti- Beauty Editor & Expert for Clarins!) I was even lucky enough to sit right across from him at our beautiful dinner from Oliver & Bonacini (pictured below.)
Not only was the dinner delicious it was also presented beautifully, just like everything else set up around the room!
Of course the first thing that came to mind after I found out I was a lucky winner to attend as a guest was what on earth am I going to wear?!
With Clarins Beauty being internationally acclaimed as a French luxury cosmetics company I knew I had to step it up a notch! I opted for a full skirt with mesh details, ankle-strap stilettos, a striped (Parisian-feel) shirt and of course, my favourite (accessories!), and not just any accessories, one with LOADS of bling!
See below for some of the pictures of the event along with my outfit details!
I couldn’t not use my Revlon lipstick print nail-stickers for the event, they couldn’t be more perfect!
I had SO much fun and I cannot thank Dave Lackie enough for choosing me to attend this absolutely beautiful event! I learned so much and met some other bloggers and beauty-lovers alike! I hope to be able to attend another one of his events sometime again soon! 🙂
Two of my favourite things this season have been big hats and big blanket scarves! You can tell how long it’s been since I last posted (see leaves in pictures, this has now been replaced with snow…a whole season has past!) With both, or one of these, it’s so easy to take your style to the next level! These scarves are AMAZING, and if you get cold you can literally use it as a blanket. I’m officially in love.
Green floppy-hat: Old Navy
Plaid Tartan Scarf: Urban Planet
Crocodile-print leather jacket: Danier
Well well well…
It’s been WAY too long since my last post and I can’t believe how much time has gotten away from me!
I am really going to start trying to post more often! My Instagram account has started to take off (@staffordable_blog) and since it’s so quick to edit and post pictures on there my wordpress sort of got the shaft! 🙁
I am going to be playing a little bit of catch-up (okay, a lot of catch-up) so hang in there with me until I get back at it!
Faux-leather skirt and lace-up flats both from Forever 21! I absolutely love these shoes and wish they sold them in every colour! They are such a huge trend right now and I was so lucky to have grabbed these for only $30.00 before they quickly sold out!
This summer I fell in love with matching sets! I came across this set on sale online on Forever 21. I liked wearing the two pieces together but love how I can wear them separately too. The whole set on sale was $30.00 and once I saw it on actress and style icon Jamie Chung it made me love it even more!
Again with the matching sets…
I cannot say enough how big of a fan I am of these!
This set I picked up on sale last year at Zara for $40.00. It’s got a textured detail to it with green piping on the pockets as well as the entire back of the tank is leather with a slit at the bottom. I paired it with a plain white blazer that I found at their end of summer sale this year for $29.00 I finished it off with my favourite pair of heels for work from Hudson’s Bay. I love the short heel with gold details! Instead of wearing my green Raybans I opted for a pop of a contrasting colour and went with my orange ones this time around!
The statement necklace really is a statement! I found this at the same sale at Zara for $12.99…yes you read that correctly!!! l love how different it is it’s like a work of art!
I am so in love with matching sets! I picked up this floral matching set from Urban Planet for $25.00. I paired it with a simple pair of neutral coloured sandals and my green flashlens Rayban aviators. I love wearing these sets because they are super comfortable (they feel like pjs!!) If you style it properly you can ensure that it doesn’t look like you are wearing pjs out in public!
I don’t have a lot of orange in my wardrobe so I was hesitant to buy this dress at first. Once I tried it on I fell in love with the colour, fit and style! I really enjoyed the small peplum ruffle it adds a real classy touch!
It’s designer Catherine Malandrino which I picked up on sale from Winners for $22 compared to $175!!!
I got compliment after compliment on this dress. I paired it with one of my fav statement necklaces that I picked up on Canal street in NYC!
The inspiration behind my outfit was my handmade cake that I made for my grandma’s 90th birthday!
You can order this matching set from BohoBuys online (Madeira two-piece set), my shoes are from Hudson’s Bay.