I used a lot of crushed candy canes in my Christmas desserts this year and this one turned out wonderfully!
All you need is to bake your favourite type of chocolate cupcake. I used a store bought mix but feel free to make yours all homemade! I decided to go for chocolate cupcakes so that the white icing and red candy cane crunch would really pop out at you!
Once your cupcakes are fully cooled down (I usually wait about an hour or so) remove the cupcake liners.
Next cut each cupcake horizontally down the middle
Using a piping page and star-point icing decorating tip place circle around the inside of the bottom half of the cupcake. Try going around the edges so that you can see the extra coming out. This step also makes it easier for your crushed candy cane to stick.
Place the top half of your cupcake back on and top it all off with a icing star and sprinkle a little bit more of your crushed candy cane on top.
VOILA, it’s that simple and they end up looking like you spent a lot of time on them!
I arranged my cupcakes on a large round platter and also placed some mini candy canes for a final touch!
Nothing says the holidays like chocolate and candy canes!
Here’s exactly what you’ll need to make these tasty little treats!
- 18 vanilla wafer cookies (Round)
- 2 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8oz) neufchâtel cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 C white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/4 C crushed mini candy canes, divided
- 18 foil muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place foil liners in 2 muffin pans (cheesecake holds better in foil liners and are easier to remove)
- Place 1 vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cup.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla; just until incorporated.
- Don’t over beat!!!
- Gently stir in 3/4 C chocolate chips and 3/4 candy cane pieces.
- Fill each cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until almost set.
- Remove from oven; let cool 5 minutes on rack and then remove from pan.
- Once cool cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Before serving; place remaining chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, microwave for 15 seconds, stir, 15 more seconds, stir, repeat again if necessary until smooth.
- Place 1 tsp crushed candy cane in the center of each cheesecake, use a fork to drizzle white chocolate back and forth over the tops.
- * to crush candy canes, remove wrappers, place in a freezer bag, hit with the back of a metal spoon.
- Place on a serving platter and arrange any sort of decorative Christmas items you can find (candy canes look really nice too!)
I will use this recipe for many holidays to come! 🙂